Classic Killers

Classic Killers

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

'The Conjuring' conjures excitement yet slight disappointment

It's got to be one the highest anticipated horror movies to come out in this decade thus far, and I will say that it was good. But that's the best I can do: "good."

Don't get me wrong, the writing, cinematography, CGI and the score were done to fantastic caliber. I will give credit where credit is due. The effect of the lighting for the film was spot on. Low key for the creeptastic scenes and a little bit of high key when the family reminisces about fonder moments. I'm a little biased when it comes to the writing, recognizing elements from some other James Wan film right away. The dolls seem familiar to anyone? Try "Dead Silence" or "Insidious," both from the same writer/director James Wan. It's the ending that's got me scratching my head, and if you've seen the other films I've mentioned by Wan, you'll know that he knows better.

My absolute favorite part of horror movies, horribly awesome or not, is the ending. It's all in the ending. Johnny Depp explained this in "Secret Window," when he played a deranged writer. Hint: awesome ending there.

That's where I do have to say that "The Conjuring" fell short. Even though I may be a grown woman, I should be reduced to the state of a toddler after watching this. I should be trying to sleep in my roommate's bed, with every single light in our apartment on. 

Sure, I jumped throughout the film. Even let out a not so attractive yelp at one point. My point is, everything that could still scare me, make me worry that the bad could get me throughout the night, was vanquished.

A great scary movie ends like this:
Villian dies or is banished in an over the top fashion
Protagonist and friends celebrate or give a sigh of relief
Short period of time passes
Villian is NOT dead or banished and/or plot twist

My false sense of happiness didn't happen in this one. All the characters felt safe at the end and everything was resolved. See my frustration?

To all my friends who told me I wouldn't be able to get a good night's sleep again: I bid you a goodnight.
Image from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1457767/?ref_=nv_sr_1

No comments:

Post a Comment